This is one of my all-time favorite quick dinners. It is also a great prep-ahead meal!
We’re lucky enough to have a Greek Market in Winnipeg that makes the BEST Tzatziki sauce, but most grocery stores these days carry it!
Tasty Greek Chicken in a Lemon-Oregano marinade, served in a soft warm pita with Tzatziki sauce and crunchy veggies. Sooo much better than getting takeout!
Total prep time: 10 minutes (+ Marinading time)
Total cook time: 30 minutes
Serves: 4 (easily adjustable for larger or smaller groups)
- 4 chicken breasts (or 6 chicken thighs), sliced into bite-sized chunks
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Juice of 1 whole lemon
- 2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tzatziki Sauce
- Pitas (whole wheat if you can find!) *tip* warm them up in the microwave for about 20 seconds before stuffing them so they don’t break!)
- 1/2 sliced English cucumber
- Romaine lettuce (or other leafy green)
- You could also stuff your pitas with tomato, olives, or whatever else you can think of! (I also like a bit of hot sauce on mine)
- Whisk together marinade (make sure to taste it BEFORE adding the chicken!). Add chicken pieces and let it sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours for best results. I have made it by putting it directly in the oven without marinading and it still turns out pretty good!
- If I am prepping this meal ahead of time, I put my chicken in the marinade in a container or freezer bag and put it in the freezer until I’m ready to use it.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Pour chicken and marinade into a baking dish, bake until chicken is cooked through (about 30 minutes, longer if you have larger chicken pieces)
3. Once chicken is cooked, simply stuff your pitas with your fillings and enjoy!
…and here’s a delightful picture of me enjoying them!
Did you try this recipe? Leave your comments below!