mmmm, I love lentils!
I also love make-ahead meals that get better after sitting in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight). This is definitely one of those meals. As all the salad ingredients sit together they absorb each other’s flavors and create an even better dish than when it was freshly made.
The other beautiful thing about lentils is that they’re super high in protein! In fact, one cup of cooked lentils like these has a whopping 18 grams of protein (that’s almost as much as a serving of meat!)
So, if you’re trying to eat a more ‘plant-based’ diet or just want to shake things up from the same old meat and potatoes, then this recipe is for you!
Mediterranean Lentil Salad
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 2 cups diced cucumber
- 2 cups cup diced cherry tomatoes, halved (or leave them whole if you like)
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the dressing, whisk together
- The juice of 1 lemon (mine gave about 1/3 cup…it was a huge lemon!)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the lentils. Pour 1 cup dry lentils into a saucepan with 3 cups of water and a dash of salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then simmer on low for 20-30 minutes. Keep an eye on them and remove from heat when they’re just tender- you don’t want to overcook them. *This step can be done ahead to save time when prepping your salad*
- Place lentils in a bowl in the fridge to let them cool while you prep the rest of the salad
- Dice cucumbers, red onion, and tomatoes, set aside
- Whisk together ingredients for dressing
*If you’re preparing a day or two ahead of time, keep the cucumber, tomatoes, and feta separate until you’re ready to serve so they don’t get mushy. The lentils, onion, and dressing can be mixed together and left to soak in the fridge until you’re ready to eat*
5. Mix it all together and enjoy!
*To make these into prep-ahead lunch bowls: Take your lentil, onion, and dressing mixture and portion it out into 1-cup servings. In a separate container, portion out 1 cup of the cucumber and tomato mix. Portion out feta into a third container*
Did you enjoy this recipe? Have a question or comment? Leave it in the chat below!