Who’s ready for more tacos!?
I know I am! It’s also Taco Tuesday, which is basically an institution in our house.
So today I wanted to create something a little different with some flavours I haven’t combined in a taco recipe before.
Behold! Smokey Honey Jalapeño Chicken Tacos (with a blow-your-mind amazing homemade guacamole!)
What I really love about these Tacos was the perfect blend of sweet and heat from the honey, lime juice, and jalapeño that goes into the chicken marinade. The liquid smoke and cumin add that touch of Smokey-ness that makes these off-the-charts delicious. I also used some Spicy Mexican flavoured olive oil that I got from Frescolio here in Winnipeg, If you are’t lucky enough to have a flavoured olive oil store near you, no worries- just add a little extra Jalapeño if you want more heat.
Homemade guac is also like the EASIEST thing to whip up while your chicken is marinating and worth every second of effort to make it instead of buying a prepared one! I promise!
Smokey Honey Jalapeño Chicken Tacos
Serves: 2 (double or triple the recipe for leftovers, or if you’re feeding a crowd!)
Prep time: 15 minutes + marinating time
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for the chicken marinade:
- 1/2 cup canola or olive oil (I substituted in about 2 Tbsp Mexican Spice flavoured olive oil)
- Juice of 2 small limes
- 1/2 mined Jalapeño, seeds removed
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 Chicken breast, cut into about 1-inch chunks
1. Stir together marinade ingredients, add chicken and let marinade for at least 2 hours, or overnight. Transfer to baking dish.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake for about 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, whip up your amazing homemade guacamole! I like mine a little chunky, but if you prefer a smooth guac, run it through your food processor instead of mashing by hand.
Ingredients for Guacamole:
- 1 avocado, mashed with a fork
- 1/2 minced Jalapeño, seeds removed (add more or less depending on how much heat you like!)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- Pinch of salt
4. Stir together all ingredients. Leave a bit chunky, or purée in a food processor if you like it smoother.
Other Ingredients: Tortillas (I like the small ones), lettuce, sour cream, salsa, or whatever else you want to top your Tacos with!
5. Assemble your Tacos! We used whole wheat tortillas, lettuce, sour cream, and tomato salsa. And extra cilantro of course 😉
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and ALL of my 12 Days of Tacos Recipes will be sent right to your inbox!