I know a lot of you guys have been waiting for this one! The first Fish Taco recipe of their 12 Days of Tacos! This has to be one of my favorite taco recipes EVER.
I LOVE fish tacos! I might even go so far to say they’re my favourite. I love the fresh flavours that go so well with a nice light, flaky fish. For these I used haddock, but any white fish would work great in this dish. I also love that they are so quick to make. Only 20 minutes to marinade so they’re on the table in less time than ordering a pizza. My homemade tortillas were a great Sunday slow food addition, but these would be equally as tasty in a whole wheat or corn tortilla from the store. You can get the recipe I used for the tortillas here. I used 50% whole wheat flour in mine for a little extra fibre.
Spicy Grilled Fish Tacos
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2 large white fish fillets (or 4 smaller ones)
- Juice of 1 big lime
- 1 big clove garlic
- 2 tsp of sauce from 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. (You only need some of the sauce, so put the rest in the freezer for the next taco night, or use 1 tsp chili powder instead + a few drops liquid smoke)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp canola or olive oil
- Whisk together ingredients for marinade. Pour marinade over fish in a shallow baking dish or bowl. Turn the fish to coat with the marinade. Let marinade for 20 minutes (but no more than 30 minutes)
Fish is a bit different than cooking chicken or beef, which can marinade for hours. If fish sits in the marinade too long it tends to get tough.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add fish to frying pan and cook for 3-5 minutes (time varies depending on how thick your fillets are) Flip and cook on other side until fish is flaky and opaque.
3. Assemble your tacos! I topped mine with lettuce, a crunchy lime coleslaw (just some bagged coleslaw with minced jalapeno and a canola oil and lime juice dressing), avocado, sour cream, and some cilantro. If you like a little extra heat, spoon on some extra adobo sauce from the can of chipotle peppers, it’s a perfect finishing touch.
Did you like this recipe? Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog so you get all of my articles and recipes sent right to your inbox!