I know I said that last week’s grilled fish tacos were my favorite, but that was before these crispy pickerel tacos made their appearance!
These crispy fish tacos are the ultimate quick weeknight meal. The little bite-sized pieces of fish cook in a flash, so from start to finish you’re looking at dinner being on the table in under 20 minutes. This meal is also great for amping up the vegetables on your plate, with some crispy lettuce and fresh coleslaw. YUM!
We used pickerel (walleye) in ours, but any white fish would turn out just as great!
Crispy Pickerel Tacos
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes
- 2-4 fish filets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (use more if you like more heat)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Canola oil for frying
- Whole wheat tortilla shells (I like the small 6″ ones)
- Your favorite taco fillings: lettuce, shredded, avocado, cilantro, sour cream, etc.
1. Pour 2″ of oil into frying pan or saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat.
2. Whisk together flour and spices. Coat fish in flour mixture.
3. Check if oil is hot enough to fry by sticking the back of a wooden spoon into the oil. If it starts to foam up around the spoon you’re in business!
4. Carefully place fish pieces into oil. If you have a lot of fish cook in 2 batches to avoid overcrowding the pan. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring and flipping fish so they cook evenly.
5. Remove fish from frying pan and place on plate with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Prepare other taco fillings
6. Assemble tacos and enjoy!
Crunchy coleslaw with creamy lime dressing
- 1 cup pre-made coleslaw (shredded cabbage mix)
- 1/2 Jalapeño, minced (optional)
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- Juice of 1/2 large lime
whisk together sour cream and lime juice. Stir into coleslaw mix and add jalapeños. Use as a filling on any taco recipe!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of these recipes and more sent right to your inbox!