If you’re looking for something REALLY different to do with your next Meatless Monday or Taco Tuesday, this is the recipe for you!
I have never ever put sweet potato in a taco before, but I did not regret it!
To be honest, I’m not the biggest sweet potato fan, I’d rather eat pasta! But this recipe will DEFINITELY be part of my regular repertoire after today.
What I absolutely loved about this recipe was that when you season and roast the sweet potato and black beans together, the sweet potato gets soft, while the black beans get kind of crispy. Talk about YUM!
I always like a little sour cream on my tacos, but if you’re dairy-free you can skip it altogether and make it vegan. Avocado also makes a really tasty creamy addition to this tasty combo. To finish it off I squeezed a lime wedge over the whole thing and it was taco perfection!
Roasted Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 2 tbsp olive oil or canola oil
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (or more if you like more spice!)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Lime
- Whole wheat tortillas (I like the 6″ ones)
- Your favourite other taco fillings: Avocado, sour cream, lime juice, lettuce, tomato, etc. Get creative!
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix together sweet potato and black beans in a large shallow baking dish. Drizzle oil over top and stir to coat. Sprinkle spices on top and mix again
3. Bake uncovered in oven for about 30 minutes or until sweet potato pieces are soft (should be easily cut with a fork). The smaller your pieces are the faster they’ll cook.
4. Assemble your tacos and enjoy! Don’t forget to add the lime juice on top at the end!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog so you receive all of my recipes and articles directly to your inbox!