Chicken Parm is one of those meals that we assume MUST be super unhealthy because it’s so damn good. Admittedly, many version of this Italian-American classic do call for the chicken to be fried before being smothered in cheese. Fat = Flavor, but in this particular dish I find that by seasoning the breading and baking it in the oven I get a really nice crisp and loads of delicious flavor without needing to fry! The other great thing about an oven-baked dish is you can get some other things done while they cook without having to babysit a frying pan.
So, the next time you’re in the mood for some serious comfort food, try my delicious Baked Chicken Parmesan!
Baked Chicken Parmesan
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 4 Chicken Breasts, pounded to 2 inches thick (this tenderizes the chicken and helps it cook faster and more evenly)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup tomato-based pasta sauce (homemade or store-bought), plus extra for pasta if you like
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan or mozzarella cheese (or a mix of both!)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly spray a baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix seasonings into breadcrumbs, pour onto plate. Pour flour onto different plate.
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour, then dip into egg, coating both sides of the chicken, then coat with breadcrumb mixture and place into a baking dish.
- Bake chicken in oven, uncovered for about 15 minutes. Flip each piece of chicken over. Then, spoon tomato sauce onto each piece of chicken, and top with shredded cheese. Place back in oven until chicken is cooked through, and cheese is melted and bubbling (about another 15 minutes).
- Serve with your favorite pasta and a salad!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of my articles and recipes right to your inbox!