This right here is your next favorite slow cooker meal. There’s so many awesome things to say about this recipe I’m not even sure where to begin. I love that I can make a HUGE batch (yay leftovers!), it takes less than 15 minutes to prep, AND this dish tastes amazing. Like the kind of meal that you dream about all day at work and can’t wait to get home to eat. Walking in the door at the end of the day and being hit with all those delicious spicy smells is the best. To save time in the morning, I prep my slow cooker meals the night before, put the removable slow cooker pot into the fridge, then just take it out and place it in the base in the morning and turn it on! Couldn’t be easier!
Most Butter Chicken recipes use cream to add richness to the sauce. My version here uses coconut milk because I love the coconut-y flavour it lends to the dish. The coconut combined with the tomato and spices is absolutely out of this world!
So add my Slow Cooker Coconut Butter Chicken to your next weekly meal plan and add an exciting new meal to your repertoire!
If you want to turn this into a more plant-based meal, using green lentils in place of the chicken would be absolutely delicious as well!
Slow Cooker Coconut Butter Chicken
Makes 8 servings
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 4-6 hours (can be left on warm setting for longer)
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 cans coconut milk (the solid coconut fat and water separate in the can, but they combine back together in the sauce!)
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 1 large white or sweet onion, finely diced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 5 gloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 Tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (more/less depending on how much spice you like!)
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tbsp tumeric
- Salt to taste (I always add the salt last, after everything has finished cooking)
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add chopped onion and saute until onions are translucent and softened. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
If you’re VERY short on time you can add the onion and garlic right into the slow cooker pot without cooking it first (don’t add any oil), but the extra few minutes means big flavor!
2. Add onion, garlic, coconut milk, tomato paste, and spices to slow cooker pot. Stir to combine
3. Place chicken pieces into slow cooker. Stir to coat them with sauce (you can cut them up for faster cooking, or leave them whole).
4. Cook on low 4-6 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Adjust the seasoning if needed after cooking.
5. Serve with Basmati rice and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of my recipes and articles right to your inbox!