I looked forward to eating this dinner ALL DAY and it did not disappoint!
I absolutely love cooking with lentils. They’re little wee nutrition powerhouses packed with protein, iron, and fibre. They cook really quickly compared to other dried beans and are super simple to add to a ton of different dishes. The best past is that they’re an incredibly inexpensive protein source as well, making them a healthy choice for your body and your budget.
I like to use lentils everywhere from chili to pasta sauces to salads, but by far one of my biggest lentil hits so far has gotta be my Coconut-Curry Green Lentils. It took just a few minutes to prep, a few hours in the slow cooker and I had a delicious and healthy meal ready when I walked in the door from work.
Try this recipe for your next Meatless Monday dinner or anytime you’re craving some middle-eastern flavors!
Slow Cooker Coconut-Curry Green Lentils
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 4-6 hours
Makes 8 servings
- 1 large sweet onion, minced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil or olive oil
- 3 cups dried green lentils
- 2 cans coconut milk
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 3 tbsp Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how much heat you like)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro for garnish (optional)
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add minced onion and saute until onion is soft and translucent.
2. Add garlic to frying pan, cook for 1 more minute.
3. Add onion and garlic, lentils, bell pepper, coconut milk, water, and spices to slow cooker pot.
4. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Add more water if it starts to get too thick.
5. Adjust seasonings as needed once lentils are cooked through.
6. Serve over basmati rice topped with cilantro and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and get all of my articles and recipes sent right to your inbox!