Is there anything more exciting that some REALLY awesome homemade guacamole? I mean, the store bought stuff is okay, but fresh, REAL homemade guac just can’t be beat. I made this for a party recently and everyone was absolutely raving about it!
The best part about making homemade guac is that it takes no time at all, and you probably already have most of the ingredients in your fridge! I like to make mine a few hours ahead of time so the flavours can all mix together and blend while it sits. The result is a spicy, garlicy, creamy dip that is perfect for any event (or just for yourself!)
The Best Fresh Guacamole Ever
Prep time: 10 minutes
Makes enough for about 10-15 people as an appetizer. Adjust the amounts for a larger or smaller batch.
- 6 large avocados *tip: use avocados that are quite ripe for a smoother final product. If you use under-ripe avocados your guac will be chunkier*
- 1/4 red or white onion, minced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Jalapeño pepper, minced (remove the seeds if you prefer less spice). Dried chili flakes work well too
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt to taste
1. Cut open avocados and scoop out insides. Place in bowl and mash with a potato masher until smooth
2. Add minced onion, garlic, jalapeño, lime juice, cilantro and salt. Mix well. Adjust seasonings as needed.
3. Serve with tortilla chips, or use in wraps, on sandwiches, or in your favorite Mexican dish.
Storage tip: if you’re making your guac ahead of time and don’t want it to turn brown, cover with plastic wrap and press the plastic wrap directly onto your guac. This will stop oxygen from coming into contact with the avocado and prevent browning.
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of my articles and recipes right to your inbox!