If there’s one thing I can’t get enough of, it’s BBQ season! Especially here in Manitoba where summer can always seem too short. We like to take full advantage and cook outside on the grill as much as possible. To me, burgers are one of those meals that I could eat almost everyday. By switching up the toppings and getting creative with ingredients you have endless options for tasty and nutritious meals.
I was asked to create a plant-based BBQ recipe for a newsletter recently and I immediately was drawn to the idea of doing a delicious and simple plant-based burger. What got me extra excited about this project was that I got to incorporate some of my very own garden veggies into the mix- beets!
I absolutely love beets, they’re easily in my top 3 favourite veggies. There is nothing better in the summer than being able to enjoy all of my best beet recipes right out of the garden!
So, onto my beet-y burger! The burger mix is made from a combination of black beans, grated beets, and oats. The patties freeze very nicely and are even very tasty on their own, sans bun. I topped the one pictured with a little garlic hummus and fresh dill (which was AMAZING by the way!), but I made another one with some tzatziki sauce on top and it was to die for as well. There’s just something magical about the combination of beets and dill! But, if you’re a fan of the classic ketchup and mustard combo no worries! The seasonings in this burger are nice and simple so you can dress your burger up any way you like.
These burgers are great for on the grill, but for best results place a sheet of foil on the grill and brush a bit of olive or canola oil on the foil first to avoid any sticking or breaking up. As an alternative I also heated up a few on the stove top in a frying pan which turned out great for a quick meal, or you can oven-bake a whole batch if you’re feeding a crowd. Because there is no raw meat in these burgers they really just need to be warmed through and crisped up a bit on the outside.
So, give these tasty and nutritious plant-based burgers a try at your next BBQ, or any night of the week!
Beet and Black Bean Burgers
- Makes 12 Burgers
- Prep time: 10 minutes + 1-2 hours to chill (chilling the mixture helps to keep the burgers from crumbling)
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium beets, washed and peeled
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Using the shredding attachment on a food processor, grate the beets. Add the black beans, onion, garlic and seasonings and pulse until thoroughly mixed.
2. Add the oats 1/2 cup at a time, mixing between each addition. The final mixture should not feel wet, and should be fairly easy to shape into patties with your hands.
3. Chill mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours to firm up the burger mixture and help it to stick together when cooking. Shape into 12 burger patties.
4. Cook burgers on foil-lined grill for about 5 minutes per side until heated through.
Serve on a whole grain bun with your favourite burger toppings!
Did you enjoy this recipe? Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and receive all of my articles and recipes right to your inbox!