Raise your hand if you currently have at least 5 bananas sitting in your freezer.
I know I do! But not anymore after making this delicious whole wheat banana bread with chocolate chips!
Don’t get me wrong, I love bananas! But I really only like them when they’re barely ripe. Like still a tad green at the top and a bit hard to peel. Some of you are probably thinking ICK! But hey to each their own right?? So, once my bananas have even a few little brown spots they’re more likely to wind up in my freezer than into my breakfast. After awhile the bananas definitely start to take over my freezer space and I know it’s time to do some baking! And who doesn’t love a slice of delicious chocolatey banana bread!?
Banana bread is the perfect recipe to use 100% whole wheat flour instead of white. Because the final product SHOULD be more moist and dense vs light and fluffy, the whole wheat flour doesn’t weigh your banana bread down. All those bananas also make sure your bread isn’t too dry and crumbly.
My other most favorite thing about this recipe is the combination of cinnamon in the batter and chocolate chips. Can we all agree that chocolate and cinnamon is one of the most underrated flavour combinations ever?! YUM!
So, I hope you find a few minutes this week to use up all of YOUR freezer bananas and enjoy my whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread!
This recipe also makes some great muffins! Simply reduce the baking time by about 20 minutes and keep an eye of them so they don’t overbake.
Whole Wheat Banana Bread (with chocolate chips!)
- Prep time: 15 minutes
- Bake time: 45-55 minutes
- Makes 2 loaves
- 6 medium-large overripe bananas. If they’re coming out of the freezer make sure to thaw them on the counter or in the microwave before using!
- 1 cup white or brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 cups 100% whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking sofa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet but the milk chocolate ones are great too!)
If chocolate chips aren’t your thing, plain-Jane banana bread is fantastic too! Or, chopped walnuts make a tasty addition as well.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Grease 2 loaf pans with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Mash bananas with a fork or with an electric mixer until smooth. Add sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla and mix until ingredients are well-combined.
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon).
4. Create a well in the centre of your dry ingredients, and pour your wet ingredients into the dry. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until ingredients are just combined, it’s ok if there are still a few lumps.
5. Add chocolate chips and gently stir to combine them into your batter. Avoid over-mixing so your batter!
6. Pour batter evenly into two loaf pans. Bake at 350F for about 45 minutes. Start checking for doneness and remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the center of your loaf comes out clean. Mine took about 55 minutes, but each oven varies a bit.
7. Let cool on a cooling rack and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog and receive all of my recipes and articles right to your inbox!