Fall is here which means most of us have returned from the backyard BBQ and doing most of our cooking indoors once again. It also means back to the busy weeknight grind, with packed schedules and little free time for meal prep. Quick meals are an absolute necessity and unfortunately we tend to fall into a routine of making the same old things. So, let’s change it up a little and try something new!
Meatballs are one of my favourite quick weeknight meals because they cook up super fast and are so versatile. The same basic recipe can be made an unlimited number of ways by switching up the seasonings and side dishes.
For this recipe I started with my basic turkey meatball recipe, and made a quick sweet and sour sauce to go alongside. But these turkey meatballs are also excellent with Italian seasonings in a tomato sauce with pasta, or paired up with gravy and some potatoes!
While we’re on the subject of side dishes, let’s also talk about the veggies I served with my meatballs. Roasted green beans. Let me just say this: IF YOU HAVEN’T TRIED ROASTED GREEN BEANS STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND GO MAKE SOME! Seriously, roasted green beans are in my top 3 favourite vegetables dishes EVER! The best part is I popped them in the oven alongside my meatballs and they were ready at precisely the same time. Perfect! Scroll down to the bottom of the post for my instructions for the perfect roasted green beans!
Anyway, back to meatballs! We’ve begun using quick oats in place of breadcrumbs in our meatball and burger recipes, mostly because we always have oats on hand (vs having to pull out the food processor to make breadcrumbs!), and I actually think the texture they lend to the final product is excellent. This also makes your meatballs gluten-free!
So, I hope you enjoy this recipe and can add something new to your quick weeknight dinner repertoire!
Turkey Meatballs with Sweet and Sour Sauce
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
For the meatballs:
- 1lb ground turkey
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Pinch salt and pepper
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup canned pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup soya sauce
1. Pre-heat oven to 350F
2. Add all ingredients for meatballs into a bowl and mix evenly. Add additional oats as needed if your mixture is too sticky. Your final mixture should roll into a ball fairly easily without falling apart, but be careful not to make it too dry as your meatballs will wind up tough.
3. Roll meatball mixture into about 15-20 evenly sized meatball and place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 350F until meatballs are completely cooked through (about 25-30 mins depending on the size of your meatballs)
4. Meanwhile, make your sweet and sour sauce. Pour the cold water into a saucepan and add the cornstarch. Stir to dissolve.
5. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the pot and stir until well-combined. Heat over medium heat stirring often until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat.
6. After meatballs are cooked place meatballs into sauce and stir to coat. Serve alongside rice and your favourite cooked vegetables. Like my roasted green beans below!
How to Make Roasted Green Beans:
Place trimmed green beans on a baking sheet or into a glass baking dish. Drizzle with a small amount of olive oil or canola oil and toss beans with your hands to coat them all evenly. Sprinkle with salt and pepper or your choice of other seasonings (Mrs Dash or Clubhouse brand makes some excellent seasonings blends!). Place in preheated oven at 350F and roast for about 30 minutes, or until beans are soft and just starting to turn golden brown. Enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of my recipes and blog posts right to your inbox!