When it comes to cool fall mornings, what could possibly be better than waking up to a nice warm slow-cooker full of….breakfast?
That’s right! Most of us think of our slow-cookers as a great time-saving tool for busy weeknight dinners or slow-food Sunday meals, but did you know that your slow cooker can also make some amazing breakfast foods too?
One of these amazing breakfast foods is my Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Quinoa. I guarantee you’ll jump out of bed in the morning to get your hands on a bowl of this!
I love quinoa as a breakfast food because it’s a great source of a ton of nutrients to start your day off right- protein and fibre which both help to fill you up, right through until lunch, as well as an impressive array of vitamins and minerals including iron, zinc, magnesium, folate, and phosphorus. Definitely a nutrition powerhouse that comes in a tiny little package!
DYK: Quinoa is generally considered a whole grain, but actually is more closely related to a grass? It’s true!
The pumpkin puree in this recipe is also a big win for healthy eating. Pumpkin is rich in fibre, vitamin A, potassium, and is just downright tasty!
Since it’s full-on pumpkin spice season I wanted to create a breakfast quinoa that tastes just like all your favorite fall flavours. The best part is that one batch makes about half a large slow-cooker full, so you can prep once and have breakfast ready to go all week long! I just portion mine out into containers and simply reheat in the microwave with a little water or milk and it’s just as good on Friday as it was on Monday!
So, be sure to give this recipe a try and I’m sure you’ll never skip breakfast again!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Quinoa
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours on low
Makes 6-8 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 2.5 cups milk (any kind you like will work)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1″ cinnamon stick, or 1 tbsp cinnamon (I always add extra cinnamon!)
- Optional Toppings: Maple syrup, honey, or brown sugar, raisins, nuts, hemp seeds, or anything else you can dream up!
1. Rinse quinoa well under running water. This washes off bitter compounds that can affect the taste of your final product
2. Add quinoa, milk, pumpkin puree, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon to slow cooker pot. Stir to combine well.
3. Cook on low overnight (6-8 hours)
4. Wake up in the morning and enjoy! I like to top mine with a little extra pumpkin puree (adds a nice bright flavour after cooking!), a drizzle of honey or maple syrup to sweeten, and a little extra pumpkin pie spice too (you can never have enough in my opinion!) But feel free to get creative and jazz yours up with toppings however you like!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog (simply enter your email below!) and you’ll receive all of my recipes, workout tips, and nutrition articles right to your inbox!
Subscribe to Blog via Email