We all love a good slow cooker recipe, especially on these chilly winter nights! And I promise that nothing will warm you up faster than the amazing smell of this chicken (or chickpea!) curry when you walk in the door.
There is something so exciting to me about curry dishes. Growing up in a very meat and potatoes household I never had a lot of exposure to the flavours of middle eastern or south Asian cooking. Curries were something I never tried making until I was living on my own and experimenting in the kitchen myself. Now I can’t get enough of them!
The absolute best part about this meal is the versatility of the proteins you can use. I actually made the first recipe with chicken, but had a whole bunch of extra sauce left, so the next night I re-heated the leftover sauce with a can of chickpeas. Boom! Second dinner (with extra for lunches for the rest of the week) If you’re trying to incorporate more plant-based meals into your week (and maybe have a few family members who prefer chicken), you can easily make this a meal to suit anyone.
I also love easy meals like a curry dish where your protein, starch, and veggies are rolled into one! Whether you make this dish with chicken or chickpeas there’s definitely a ton of plant power going on in this meal. Nice fresh tomatoes make the base, and frozen veggies added at the end of cooking provide a pop of colour and fresh flavour. Yum!
… my advice? Make them both!
Slow Cooker Chicken (or Chickpea!) Curry
- Makes 6 servings
- Prep time: 30 minutes (+ slow cooker time)
- 12 chicken thighs, or 1 can chickpeas (rinsed and drained)
- 8 large Roma tomatoes (or 4 large heirlooms), diced
- 1/2 large white onion, minced
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tbsp tumeric
- Chili flakes or cayenne pepper to taste (depending on how spicy you like it!)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (greek or regular), plus additional for garnish
- 2 cups frozen peas
- Cilantro for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add minced onion and cook until they’re soft/translucent.
2. Add minced garlic and cook another minute until garlic is fragrant
3. Add diced tomatoes and continue cooking until tomatoes are soft and turning into sauce. Add spices and stir to combine.
If using chicken:
4. Transfer sauce to slow cooker pot. Add chicken thighs and stir to coat. Cook on low for at least 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
5. Just before serving, stir in frozen vegetables and yogurt. Add vegetables first to cool the sauce down a bit to stop the yogurt from curdling. You can also take a few spoonfuls of sauce and mix it with the yogurt first before incorporating it into the sauce. Stir well to combine.
If using chickpeas:
4. Transfer sauce to slow cooker pot. Add chickpeas and stir to coat. Cook on low for 4 hours. (The slow cooker is really optional here though, since the chickpeas only need to be heated, not cooked, you can finish your curry up right in the frying pan and serve right away!)
5. Just before serving, stir in the frozen vegetables and yogurt. Add vegetables first to cool the sauce down a bit to stop the yogurt from curdling. You can also take a few spoonfuls of sauce and mix it with the yogurt first before incorporating it into the sauce. Stir well to combine.
For both versions:
6. Serve on a bed of basmati rice, garnish with a dollop of yogurt and cilantro and enjoy!
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and you’ll receive all of my articles, recipes, and workout tips right to your inbox!