It’s Pumpkin Season!
October is here, which means it’s time for Pumpkin EVERYTHING! Now I know some serious pumpkin fans who are lining up for their PSLs September 1st, but I’m usually still hanging onto the last bits of summer, trying to pretend my favourite season isn’t coming to a close. I mean, I don’t MIND fall. It’s certainly better than winter. But I’d enthusiastically vote for a summer that lasts 10 months instead of 3. And give me an iced tea on a hot sunny day over a PSL any day of the week.
But, when it comes to fall baking I absolutely adore all things pumpkin. Like baking with bananas or applesauce, pumpkin adds fantastic texture, flavour, and nutrition to any recipe. Pumpkin has fibre, a ton of vitamin A (beta carotene, which is what makes it orange!), and is a great source of potassium. Definitely a Dietitian approved choice!
What I also love about baking things like oatmeal bars is how quick and easy they are to grab as a pre or post workout snack or a super fast and filling breakfast. If you’re used to rushing around in the morning and missing breakfast because you’re just too darn busy- These Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars are your solution. I originally shared an earlier version of this recipe with you last fall, but I’ve given it a quick update and taken some new pics with my faaaancy new camera to make this recipe better than ever!
Most of the ingredients for these bars you’ll probably already have on hand in your kitchen so they’re a great rainy (or snowy) day baking project! They bake up super chewy and dense, I’m sure they’ll become one of your favourite pumpkin recipes!
Chocolate Pumpkin Oatmeal Bars
- Makes 1 8X11″ pan (about 16 servings)
- Prep time: 10 minutes + 30 minutes to bake
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups quick oats
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice (adjust for your preference. I always like lots of pumpkin pie spice!)
- 2 tbsp cinnamon (adjust this for your preference as well. I can never get too much cinnamon!)
- 1 cup chocolate chips (raisins or chopped walnuts would also be fantastic in these!)
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Combine pumpkin, and eggs. Add oil, vanilla, and brown sugar and mix well.
3. Stir in flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Add pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon and adjusting the seasonings as needed. Stir in chocolate chips
4. Pour batter into greased 8X11 pan. Bake at 350F for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre of the pan comes out clean. Let pan cool and set before cutting.
These bars make an excellent grab and go breakfast, or anytime snack! Pair with a few hardboiled eggs or a serving of Greek yogurt for a protein-packed balanced breakfast.
Did you like this recipe? Subscribe to my blog and receive all of my recipes, articles, and workout tips right to your inbox!
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Check out my other Pumpkin-themed recipes!