It’s officially soup weather around here! As much as I can do without our extremely cold winter weather, there is something about a warm bowl of soup on a cold day that is just so necessary. This lentil and wild rice soup is super simple, and can be made with any combination of veggies you have on hand.
Like any good soup recipe, it makes a big ol pot so you’ll have plenty of leftovers! Plus, this is one soup that definitely gets even BETTER as all the flavors meld together. I hope you love it as much as I did!
Lentil and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4-5 stalks celery, diced
- 4 large carrots, diced
- 6 large mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 1 cup dry green lentils
- 10-12 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cream
- Optional: 2 Tbsp corn starch dissolved 1/4 cup in cold water
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add vegetables to pot and cook until softened.
- Add wild rice, lentils, seasoning, and broth. Stir and cover, turning heat down to low.
- Simmer on low until rice and lentils are soft and cooked-through. Add more broth as needed to avoid it getting too dry.
- Stir in cream, add salt and pepper as needed to taste.
- For a thicker soup, add water and corn starch mixture to pot right at the end, then bring to a boil to allow the corn starch to thicken.
- Remove from heat and enjoy!
Want more easy healthy recipes for athletes? Grab your free copy of my free sample meal plans for runners! Each meal plan includes recipes, and a ready-to-go grocery list! Just enter your email address below to get your copy!